17 October, 2021

My designs get stolen

It's hard to be a popular design on RedBubble (my print on demand provider), but even harder when you have to compete against yourself because you design was blatantly copied. 

 I woke up early and couldn't fall asleep, so I took my most popular design and decided to start posting it on other print on demand sites. I had to refresh my memory on the tags I used, so I simply searched for my own design on RedBubble to find what I had used. Three results came up, all 3 appeared to be the same design, but only one was by me! 

Luckily RedBubble has a copyright infringement reporting tool, so the two stolen copies should be gone from the site in the next day or two. Some of my designs have transparent areas to let the the shirt color show up in the clear areas as the background color. I use this sparingly as a blue shirt would make a good 'transparent' background color for a section of a design showing sky, but on a yellow shirt, not so much. There is a watermark feature on redbubble, but I find their watermarks are too small and too spreadout, so they can probably be edited out rather quickly.

When a person steals a design on RedBubble it is usually through a screenshot of what they see on their monitor, so if my design is shown on a default black shirt, those transparent areas will ALWAYS be black on shirts regardless of what shirt color the customer selects. 

The following is a pretty good example of a stolen copy of my design, compared to my original design file. A typical screenshot is usually 72 dots per inch (dpi), while my original design files are set at 300 dpi  (The highest resolution the human eye can see is about 170 dpi).  This difference in resolution explains the jagged and rough arcs you see on the various circles.  The image file format and compression level used often by apps that create screenshots is not optimal either.  This can easily seen by the noise and fuzziness around each character.   Even the colors are off.


Check out my original (and optimal) design at https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/82156743

Remember:  If it is not Past Expiry, chances are it is rotten.


           

0 comments:

Post a Comment